I am not a good golfer. I like golf, took a few lessons, play once or twice a month, even got a new driver for Christmas, but I am not a good golfer. (Mostly 90’s) But today golf gave me a moment I’ll never forget.
I know golf stories are booooooring, so I’ll keep it short. A good friend, Harold Johnson, invited me to join him today on my day off to play a course in Dallas called Cedar Crest. A beautiful, old course that hosted the 1927 PGA.
Hole number 12 is a cute little par 4. It was a good drive. As we rounded the dog leg in our cart, no ball. I figured it had to be in the sand trap and grumbled about putting the best drive of my life into the sand, but again, no ball.
Finally, we see it… two feet from the pin. Honest, I wanted to pick it up because I was absolutely convinced that I would choke and miss the only chance I’ll ever have for an eagle. I miss these kind of putts all the time.
But after a 307 yard drive, that stopped 2 feet from the pin, I had to try. Thank you God and thank you Wilson 4 with the funky horse logo, I don’t remember where I picked you up, but I definitely plan to keep you around.
And even if I do I lose you in the midst of life’s clutter, I’ll never forget that moment we shared with Harold, in Dallas, on a beautiful Friday morning, when you dropped into the cup. In golf it’s called an Eagle, with my game it’s called a miracle.
I know golf stories are booooooring, so I’ll keep it short. A good friend, Harold Johnson, invited me to join him today on my day off to play a course in Dallas called Cedar Crest. A beautiful, old course that hosted the 1927 PGA.
Hole number 12 is a cute little par 4. It was a good drive. As we rounded the dog leg in our cart, no ball. I figured it had to be in the sand trap and grumbled about putting the best drive of my life into the sand, but again, no ball.
Finally, we see it… two feet from the pin. Honest, I wanted to pick it up because I was absolutely convinced that I would choke and miss the only chance I’ll ever have for an eagle. I miss these kind of putts all the time.
But after a 307 yard drive, that stopped 2 feet from the pin, I had to try. Thank you God and thank you Wilson 4 with the funky horse logo, I don’t remember where I picked you up, but I definitely plan to keep you around.
And even if I do I lose you in the midst of life’s clutter, I’ll never forget that moment we shared with Harold, in Dallas, on a beautiful Friday morning, when you dropped into the cup. In golf it’s called an Eagle, with my game it’s called a miracle.
No comments:
Post a Comment